Discover the best lanterns of 2023 as we shed light on our top recommendations for outdoor enthusiasts, campers, and emergency preparedness. Our team of experts has put these lanterns to the test through extensive trials and adventures, assessing key features such as brightness, battery life, versatility, and weight. Whether you’re an ultralight backpacker or a casual camper, our comprehensive review has you covered with both all-star performers and budget-friendly options.
Best Overall Lantern: Goal Zero Lighthouse 600
- Exceptional brightness
- Rechargeable battery
- USB charge port
- Durability concerns
- Weak emergency lights
The Goal Zero Lighthouse 600 stands out as the ultimate all-rounder among lanterns. Its 600-lumen output provides ample illumination for late-night camping activities. This lantern boasts a rechargeable battery, which can be conveniently charged via USB or a hand crank, making it an ideal emergency light source. Additionally, it doubles as a power bank for your electronic devices. While it may not be the most backpack-friendly option due to its weight and size, the only drawback is the relatively fragile outer light cover. Nevertheless, considering its versatile features and charging capabilities, the Goal Zero Lighthouse 600 is our top choice for various situations.
Best for Extended Power Outages: Ultimate Survival Technologies 30-Day Duro
- Extraordinary runtime
- Quality light output
- Battery replacement can be tricky
- Handle durability
The Ultimate Survival Technologies 30-Day Duro is a marathon lantern, surpassing its advertised 30-day runtime during our tests. Even at its brightest setting, it lasts an impressive nine hours, thanks to its sturdy construction and frosted plastic cover for softer light. While the battery compartment can be a bit challenging to access and the glow-in-the-dark feature isn’t the strongest, this lantern excels in extended camping trips, RV adventures, and areas prone to power outages.
Best for Portability: Goal Zero Lighthouse Micro Charge
- Compact and lightweight
- Built-in USB charging
- Ability to charge other devices
- Rapid battery drainage on high setting
- Vulnerable USB port
The Goal Zero Lighthouse Micro Charge is a versatile and portable marvel. It functions as both a flashlight and a 360-degree lantern, powered by an integrated USB plug, eliminating the need for disposable batteries. This lantern can even charge other small devices in a pinch. While its metal hanging loop benefits from an additional carabiner for functionality, the exposed USB port is susceptible to dirt and debris. Despite its shorter battery life on the highest setting, this compact powerhouse is an excellent choice for car camping, weekend getaways, and even for kids’ use.
Selecting the right lantern can enhance your outdoor experiences, whether you’re camping, hiking, or preparing for emergencies. Our top picks for 2023 offer a range of options to suit your needs, ensuring you have a reliable source of light when you need it the most. Illuminate your adventures with these top-quality lanterns, and make the most of your outdoor excursions.
Your Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Perfect Lantern: Illuminating Your Adventures
Lanterns serve as indispensable companions during outdoor escapades, illuminating your path and providing a comforting glow as the sun sets. To aid your informed decision-making process, it’s essential to weigh the following factors when selecting the ideal lantern for your specific needs:
- Brightness Level: Consider the area you need to illuminate. Opt for higher lumens for larger spaces like picnic areas, while smaller spaces may suffice with a lower lumen lantern.
- Battery Life: Evaluate how long the lantern needs to operate continuously. Some lanterns boast extended battery life, suitable for extended trips or power outages, while others are designed for shorter durations.
- Charging Options: Decide between disposable or rechargeable batteries. Rechargeable lanterns not only save on costs in the long run but can also double as power banks for your devices.
- Durability: Anticipate rough handling or outdoor exposure? Choose a lantern with robust construction and a high impact resistance rating.
- Portability: For backpacking or hiking, prioritize lightweight and compact options that won’t burden your load.
- Additional Features: Consider features such as adjustable brightness, diffused lighting options, and device charging capabilities based on your specific needs.
- Weather Resistance: If you plan to use the lantern in wet conditions, ensure it has a good weatherproof rating (e.g., IPX6) and adequately protected charging ports.
- Ease of Use: User-friendly controls are vital, especially in the dark. Look for lanterns with accessible interfaces and simple operations.
Best Overall Lantern: For versatility, exceptional brightness, and rechargeable capabilities, the Goal Zero Lighthouse 600 stands out. Note its size and durability limitations.
Best for Extended Power Outages: The Ultimate Survival Technologies 30-Day Duro offers remarkable runtime and brightness, making it ideal for prolonged trips or areas with frequent power disruptions.
Best for Portability: The Goal Zero Lighthouse Micro Charge, with its compact design, light weight, and device charging feature, is perfect for on-the-go adventures.
Before finalizing your choice, reflect on your specific requirements and the nature of your outdoor activities, be it camping, hiking, or emergency preparedness. Choosing the right lantern ensures a dependable source of light when darkness descends, enhancing your outdoor experiences.
Explore our selection of lanterns to find your perfect companion for illuminating your adventures.